Why Wiki in School?
Reasons why I like the idea of wiki in education:
- technology moves to the background: Compared with other tools, the wiki-technology is very simple for ordinary users:
- No installation of programs on the client computer necessary: Users only need a web browser.
- Simple handling: After five minutes pupils or students know how to start working and learn the rest on the job. They don't need two hours of technological introduction...
- The work of students is visible from outside This is (at least in the beginning) a motivation factor.
- Teamwork is highly supported
- Teachers get coaches
- Teachers have the same rights as students have.
- Wiki doesn't predict or restrict usage. Unlike specialized tools with predefined structures wiki doesn't have much constraints. That's why a wiki can get chaotic but on the other hand a wiki has many possibilities. Perhaps possibiliites no one has ever thought of.
- The process of structurisation is an essential part of constructivistic learning. (cf "Patterns of Thinking" Biblionetz:b01221 )